Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Scandal from Delilah Marvelle as the Trilogy is Completed

We featured the amazing Delilah Marvelle as one of our first Behind the Book authors when she began her Scandal trilogy on January 1st.  We now have her back with her second book, Once Upon a Scandal, already out and her third book, The Perfect Scandal, being released two weeks early.  I caught up with her soon after she returned home from an exciting but exhausting book signing road tour with author Lisa Hendrix. Let's see what's going on with her now that her back to back books are almost all available.


This second book in the Scandal series, Once Upon a Scandal, has been termed more romantic than the first one.  Can you tell us a little more as to why these characters demanded a “softer” feel than the very difficult relationship between Radcliffe and Lady Justine in Prelude to a Scandal?

I wanted every book in the Scandal series to have a different feel.  From raw to emotional to intellectual.  Because in the end, I would hate for my readers to get the same read over and over from me.  It wouldn't be fun to read and it most certainly wouldn't be fun to write.  The reason Book 2, Once Upon a Scandal is more romantic is because it has to do with the hero himself.  To him, it isn't about sex but emotion and that creates that softer feel.   Of course, the subject matter within the book is anything but soft.  So while, yes, it is the more romantic of the two, it still has that edge the first book has.  In Book 1, Prelude to a Scandal, the hero is a recovering sex addict, so obviously, there is more tension and more steam because of it.  I always let my characters guide the sex and the tension and the relationship.  I don't have a quota to fill when it comes to sex, lol.  I have an obligation to ensure that my characters remain within character.

I loved your video on you tube sharing your book tour with Lisa Hendrix.  What were two of your favorite memories from that tour?

I have to say there were too many to name!  The Romance Readers Book Club at Borders in Elk Grove was AMAZING.  Mary Morgan, the romance bookseller at Borders created a book club months earlier and when she discovered we were going to be in the area for our book tour, she went above and beyond to ensure that our visit was memorable.  And it really was!  The group brought food and treats and gifts for us.  They were just so amazing.  My other favorite memory from the tour would have to be just hanging out with Lisa herself.  She's an amazing gal and has the BEST humor.  We got along beautifully.

Your third Scandal book, The Perfect Scandal, is being released even earlier than planned.  I know readers love having them available so quickly. Can you talk a little about what it’s like to write back-to-back books?   Did you do them all in one year or spread out?

Book 3, The Perfect Scandal, actually comes out February 15, the day after Valentine's Day.  The book was originally scheduled for March 1st but I guess HQN is as excited to get these books out there as I am, lol.  And yes, you're right, I've been getting tons of emails from readers telling me how much they appreciate the back to backs.  Writing back to back books takes a lot of work but the end result is well worth the months of piecing all three books together. 

I basically wrote all three books in ten months, not including revisions.  I wrote 7 days a week, 8-12 hour a day to ensure the books were the best that they could be.  It was a new experience and challenge for me altogether because I've never written back to backs.  I learned a lot about myself as an author and as a person, that's for sure.  On the last book, The Perfect Scandal, just two weeks before my deadline, I did a cut and paste I shouldn't have and ended up losing the last 75 pages of my book.  After freaking out, I sucked it up and started those 75 pages all over again. 

My attitude of 'just do it' paid off and I learned that it was the best thing to have happened to me because the story and the writing took a completely different turn.  One I absolutely love.  So I learned that I write best under pressure and when push comes to shove, I actually can step up to the plate and get things done. 


One lucky winner will get a copy of ALL THREE of the books in the Scandal series for commenting on this blog posting or following the blog.  I will draw a name on February 15th when the final book is released.

6 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Delilah, you're a go-getter, and I enjoy learning more about you and visiting with you. Congratulations!

Jessa Slade said...

We're ALL excited about this series! My mom found Prelude at the Andersons in Downers Grove and snapped it right up. SHE's excited too :)

Delilah Marvelle said...

Aww! Thanks for having me Maggie!

Paty -- thanks for the Congrats! It was so wonderful getting to know you when we went up to Seattle. I hope we'll get a chance to do it again!

Jessa -- Your mom freakin rocks! As do you. Now I know where you get it :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Su Lute is the winner of the Scandal trilogy series. Congratulations! Thanks for following Behind the Book.

Susan Lute said...

The books have arrived! Thanks sooo much. This is a first for me. I just don't win things like this :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Then I'm really glad your name was picked from the basket! Now, you just need to track down Delilah and get her to sign them. :)